Friday, March 23, 2012

Biometrics, Check!

Posted by Angie at 11:49 AM
Today, my husband and I completed our United States Central Immigrations Services Department (USCIS) biometrics appointment!  What does this mean?  Well, after filing our  I-600A (Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition), which I talked about here, we waited about three weeks and received our appointment for biometrics, which is a fancy word for fingerprints.  Our appointment wasn't supposed to be until April 10th, but we had been told by other adoptive parents that if you go early, smile big, and they aren't busy, sometimes they will let you complete the appointment early.

Well, the center for our appointment is in our state's capital (as most are), and today Future Papa had to go there for work.  So, I finagled my schedule so I could come along and early this morning we put on our friendly smiles and prepared to beg our way into the office.

Let me just say, I am usually a person who likes to go by the book.  If I have an appointment on a certain day, by golly, then I will be at that appointment on that day, 15 minutes early, ready to go.  It was really tough for me to do this and I felt so nervous.  When the security guard sent us away from the door because I was carrying a purse (no bags allowed!) I was certain they would take one look at our appointment date and send us away.

But they didn't!  They didn't even mention our date!  And, about 30 minutes later, Future Papa and I walked out, the process complete.  WOO HOO!  Now we wait for our case worker to get the fingerprints and evaluate our file for the next piece of paperwork.  We will either receive a Form I-171H, Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advanced Processing of Orphan Petition (which is what we WANT) or a Form I-797, Notice of Action...which means they need something else.

Another quick tip: if you are able to complete your appointment early, like we did, you should call or e-mail USCIS to let them know you did so, so your case worker knows to check for your information earlier.

I know this seems like way TMI (too much information) for non-adoptive parents, but for those in the process, I hope this is helpful as you navigate through this journey!

And for us, it is another step complete, another check on the to-do list.  That, my friends, is a good feeling.  Because as soon as we get a referral for one of these, we want to be ready to go!

(all pictures below from His Hands' Facebook Page)



Much love,
Future Mama

10 comments:

alison on March 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM said...

YAY!  That's a big step to get done!  So glad it worked out!

Jennifer@TheWaymanFamilyNest on March 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM said...

Yeah!  Another step closer!  You're getting so close!!! :)

Christy on March 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM said...

Hurray!  So glad it's done!  When we did our update we went early and it was no problem.  Got our approval pretty quickly afterwards too! :)  

Sergey Olga Klyuchits said...

So excited for you! My husband and I are about to apply to USCIS also. We are adopting two children from Russia. It's so inspiring to follow the adoption of other couples too.

Jessicamumford said...

Oh my. Those painted baby toes are too precious!

Congrats on marking off 'baby' steps. :)

Future Mama on March 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM said...

 Thanks Alison! We are happy about it too :-)

Future Mama on March 27, 2012 at 10:37 PM said...

Thanks Jennifer!  I have been LOVING reading your updates lately...so exciting for you too!

Future Mama on March 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM said...

 That's good to hear!  I hope we get an approval in the mail soon too!!

Future Mama on March 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM said...

 That is so exciting!  I hope your USCIS meeting goes as smoothly as ours did!! Congratulations on your two new additions :-)

Future Mama on March 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM said...

 Aren't they just precious!  I have never seen that before...but super cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez