Friday, January 13, 2012

It's not about time, it's about timing.

Posted by Angie at 7:02 AM
Sometimes, while filling out forms or waiting for an e-mail, I feel like our adoption journey looks like this:

When I want it to look like this:

It winds...

It branches...

It requires that we move slow and careful...

It goes sideways...

And, at times, it seems never-ending.

I want to see this!

Straight.

Clear.

Predictable.

But, alas, this is not the journey of adoption.  Like many things in life, it is full of twists, turns, and surprises.  Thinking about the next step, fretting about the next turn, and worrying about potential surprises is not beneficial.  Yet, to put all that aside can be hard!  At least, it is for me.  Luckily, I married a man who is the calm to my storms.  He helps me to remember that if I focus too much on the destination, I miss this: 

The beauty of our journey.  The details.  The small moments.  The adventure in our grand adventure. 

 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.”
(Proverbs 3:5-6)

I've said it before, and will likely say it again.  Waiting can be hard, whether it is waiting for a referral or waiting on a piece of paper you need for the home study.  Patience is not a strength of mine.  This process is a tremendous exercise in trust.  And though I have my days, like today, when I wonder why there are so many steps, I know we will get there.  It's not about time, it's about timing.  And God's timing is always perfect.  

Much love,
Future Mama

10 comments:

Sarah H. said...

This is beautiful...and so so true! Praying that God will continue to give you peace as you navigate through all the twists, turns, and waiting.

Aubrey Shaw on January 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM said...

That journey will mean so much more when it's over. You will cherish the results all the more because of that challenges.

Megan @ Restoringtheroost said...

Patience is one of my weaknesses too. It is so difficult for me but I try to be better about waiting each month. You are right, we have to cherish the journey that God plans for us...including all those uncertain twists! Such a beautiful post! 

alison on January 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM said...

Absolutely LOVE this!  So true.  SO many times I want the straight, easy path, but then we would miss out on watching God's beautiful path unfold!

Sonya said...

I LOVE this post! I love the visuals! You know something though...all those winding roads with twists and turns have beautiful views as you drive along them....reminding us that we have to look around and live life in the present so that we DON'T just look ahead to the future. We just finished our Home Study update today for adoption #3. I never thought 18 months would go by with no baby....our 1st 2 adoptions were 9 months from application to birth....the Lord has a different plan this time!

Future Mama on January 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM said...

Thank you all for the encouraging comments!  I love reading them all :-)

Future Mama on January 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM said...

Thanks so much Megan!

Future Mama on January 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM said...

Thank you Sonya :-)  I appreciate the kind words. 

Future Mama on January 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM said...

Thanks Alison :-)

Amanda D. said...

Thank you so much for posting this. It was exactly what I needed to hear today! God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez