Monday, December 5, 2011

A Christmas Tradition: The Pickle

Posted by Angie at 7:21 AM
Ever seen one of these?

{I couldn't seem to get a good picture of ours on the camera, so I am using this one, found here}
One family tradition I can't wait to share with our future little one is that of the Pickle ornament.  My darling hubby searched high and low for one last year, enlisting my in-laws in the shopping hunt.  And now, we officially have one. 

Ever heard of the tradition?  I believe it's German in origin.  Here's the way we celebrate it.  The parents hang the pickle ornament near the top of the tree, for all to see.  Then, on Christmas Eve, Santa hides the ornament within the boughs of the tree.  He also puts some sort of treat (usually golden chocolate coins) at the top of the tree, attached to the angel. 

Christmas morning, after the darling kiddos have opened their gifts, the search within the boughs of the tree begins.  Whoever finds the pickle first not only wins the chocolate treat, but also luck for the new year.

Cute, right?  My brothers and I are a touch competitive, and loved this tradition.  It's much harder to find then it sounds!

What about you?  Ever heard of this tradition?  Have I convinced you to run out and find a pickle of your own?

Much love, 
Future Mama

6 comments:

Jennifer on December 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM said...

We have a pickle too (had it for several years, but never really used it how it's supposed to be-just waiting for little ones to come along and enjoy it!).  So we're excited to use ours too!!!

Robin @ our semi organic life on December 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM said...

I heard about this tradition recently and think its really cool!  I'm guessing it only really works if you have more than 1 child.  I'm filling this away for a long time from now some day project!  Thanks!

Maria said...

Oh!  I have one and haven't used it like that since we don't have kids. But what a fantastic tradition!  Can't wait to do it.

Future Mama on December 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM said...

They are so much fun, I promise!  Your kids will love it :-)

Future Mama on December 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM said...

That's probably true.  ;-) I had two younger brothers!

Future Mama on December 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM said...

Yay!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez