Monday, November 28, 2011

Adoptive Families Article

Posted by Angie at 7:03 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!  Hope you all had a wonderful time with food, family, and a bit of football.  I'm thrilled that I can now listen to Christmas music in my car guilt free!  The break gave me a chance to catch up on some reading and writing (blog and otherwise).


One beautiful piece I stumbled across is this wonderful article on Adoptive Families.  It's about gift giving in an open adoption, from the birth mother's perspective.  Here's a snippet:

Eight years ago, as we began our brand-new, open-adoption relationship, Michael, Renée, and I agreed that we would honor one another on special occasions with gifts that were heartfelt, without being extravagant. On Mother’s Day of that year, when I was three months pregnant with Colin, Renée gave me a silver heart necklace identical to the one she wore herself. With tears in her eyes, she said she would have them both engraved with Colin’s name and birthdate after he was born. The gift meant that this child would always belong to both of us, and I was deeply moved.

I really recommend reading the rest of the article.  It has many great, loving ideas that would not only work for birth parents, but also as sentimental gifts for grandparents and other family members.  This past week, God allowed me to become more thankful for our journey, this wait, and the adoption process.  While we will honor whatever wishes our child's first mother has, we are praying that she will consider an open adoption with us so that we can grow and love our child together. 

Much love,
Future Mama 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez