Monday, October 3, 2011

"Meet Future Mama, She's Expecting"

Posted by Angie at 7:45 AM
{source}

Yep.

I was introduced as an "expecting" mother for the first time.

And it caught me by surprise.

As an adopting mama, I choose who I want to tell about the little blessing we are expecting.  My stomach does not announce that I am 5 months paper pregnant.  Our family and closest friends know about this adoption, (via our bracelets, postcards, video, and excited phone conversations), but other than that, we have kept the news pretty quiet and plan to keep it that way until we receive a referral.

Recently, Future Papa and I attended a reception for a local adoption ministry.  We love the support this group of families provides and are excited to be a part of an adoption conference they are planning for our town in October.  Future Papa and I will be sharing our testimony as a young couple who felt led to adoption, without experiencing infertility.  And so, at this reception, while chatting with a group of women, I was introduced as "expecting."

And yes, their eyes went straight to my belly.
{source}
Then to my face, to try to gauge my age.

And finally, back to the friend who introduced me, who was now scrambling to explain that we were adopting from Taiwan.

How funny.  I can't stop giggling about this encounter.  Here we are, at an adoption ministry reception, and the surprise is still there.  That, in turn, surprised me, as they scrambled to make up for their reaction by asking how far along we were in the process and if we requested a particular gender.

Do funny things like this happen to other adopting mothers?  I sure got a good laugh about it, but it really is a unique position to be young and expecting a baby without the belly to announce it...

Much love,
Future Mama 

7 comments:

Brooke said...

We had a family friend, of the blue, say "but they ARE paper pregnant". He's an older gentleman so I never would have even considered he KNEW that terminology. It took us both by surprise but it was also the best feeling ever!

Brookewww.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

desiree on October 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM said...

:) This makes me laugh.  I was in a store about 2 months ago and a woman commented about my kids being close in age then she said, "Well you should get going on number three".  I stated we are going (around time of referral).  She said, "oh congrats, when are you due".  My response - "If we are lucky and have it the way I want, about a year"  the confusion was priceless and I simply walked away..... I still wonder what she thought. haha. 

Jennifer@TheWaymanFamilyNest said...

I had a very similar situation.  I was at a visitation for a funeral with my mom and she said to an old friend, "I'm going to be a grandmother."  All eyes instantly went to my belly.  It was a bit of an awkward moment, but I guess you just gotta laugh like you did!

Future Mama on October 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM said...

That is so sweet Brooke!

Future Mama on October 3, 2011 at 7:21 PM said...

HAHA!  I wonder...that is too funny...

Future Mama on October 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM said...

It is a bit awkward, isn't it?!  I totally get you Jennifer!

Christy said...

If I don't get a chance to say something and then one of the kids mentions the baby I immediately get asked if I'm pregnant.  It can lead to kind of a funny discussion but overall I've mostly had positive reactions to the adoption announcement (with a few sorry exceptions).  Hugs! :) 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez