Monday, August 22, 2011

Our August Date

Posted by Angie at 7:47 AM
So, I explained what I was doing here...

Now to tell you about our first date!

But first, something to make you giggle.
{source}
Yep, my husband and I are huge Harry Potter fans.

I talk a lot about our adoption and the infant years on this blog, but let me share about some fun we are planning for the childhood years.
{source}
We are excited for our child's eleventh birthday, which is the year Harry's adventures begin.

That night, after a day of celebrating our child, we are going to creep into his or her room with the first Harry Potter book and read a chapter aloud.  Hopefully, our child will fall in love with the series just as we did.  As a family, we will read the series a chapter a night, reliving our own childhood and watching our own child(ren) come discover the excitement a book can bring.
 
I know some Christians are wary about Harry Potter...and after reading the books ourselves, reading the articles of some biblical experts (many of whom are pro-Harry Potter), and praying on it, we believe there is a lot to be gained from these stories.  For those of you who have not read the series, themes in the books include good versus evil (spoiler alert: good always wins), love shown through selflessness and self-sacrifice, facing fears and finding courage, loyalty and friendship.  We'll also highlight the biblical elements woven into the stories.  For example, when Harry visits his parents' graves, the tombstone reads "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" (1 Corinthians 15:26) while on another tombstone (that of Dumbledore's mother and sister) reads, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:19).  :-)

But now what you really want to hear about...the date!  Future Papa opened his first envelope just a few days before the 1st of August (he couldn't wait) and it contained a letter from a professor at Hogwarts, complete with the school crest at the top of the page.  It read:


Dear Mr. (Future Papa),

We are pleased to inform you that while you have not been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, you and your wife have been deemed worthy to attend a matinee showing of the film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2).  Muggle theaters will expect your attendance in August 2011.  We await your owl for confirmation of invitation receipt.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress


We were going to see Harry Potter in theaters!  A real treat for us.  And we loved it.  (For those of you who saw it, yes, I cried too).

And because there are so many great images out there...enjoy some more :-)
{source}
{source}
{source}
Hope you all enjoy some special time with your significant other this month!!!

Much love,
Future Mama

7 comments:

Alaythea said...

I think that is so neat! Something to look forward too. My husband and I had been wary of the whole Harry Potter thing because of what other Christians had said. But one day we decided to watch the movies and decide for ourselves. I'm so glad we did because they are magical and I can't wait to introduce our daughter to them. She's 4 and I'm not sure when is the right time. I know we won't wait till she's 11 but I can't wait for her to love them too!

Natalie on August 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM said...

It's amazing at how emotionally involved you can get with some books. I cried like a baby during that movie! I especially cried while reading the book too! I think it's a great series to get your future child hooked on. :) It will be to inspire reading! 

Future Mama on August 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM said...

We were wary too Alaythea!  Love them now :-)

Future Mama on August 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM said...

Totally agree Natalie!  I would love for our child to love reading :-)

Brooke said...

I think a lot of people have opinions and want to share them with us...at the end of the day we just have to do what we feel is right. 

I'm reading about attachment in adoption...and oh my goodness...it makes my head spin!

Brooke
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

Jessi said...

I love Harry Potter books and movies too!! I think that is a clever and fun date idea!!! Our whole family loves Harry Potter and I enjoy the good vs. evil plot and how skillyfully woven it is. I know some do not like Harry. But I personally, as a follower of Christ, see no problems with it.

Maria on January 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM said...

Okay, totally friggin' awesome!  I LOVE this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez