Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My (affordable) Anniversary Gift: A How To

Posted by Angie at 9:01 AM
Future Papa and I just had our 6 year anniversary last month.  Six years?!  Where does the time go?

To celebrate, I made him a little something.  We are keeping gifts small as we save up for the biggest gift of all coming our way (the new baby), so I knew I would need to keep costs down.  My inspiration came from this, which I stumbled across on pinterest:

{source}
It's a basket full of date envelopes, one a month for a whole year.  Lately, I have noticed that when we go out, usually it is with friends.  When I cook something extra special, usually it is because we have family coming into town.  And when I put on that super cute outfit, often we are running out the door to meet and greet with some work colleagues.  Life will always be busy.  

With that in mind, I have planned 12 dates, one a month, just for us.  I started with these super cute envelopes and stickers that I found 50% off at Micheal's.

 
Then, I put the dates inside and labeled my envelopes.  


I can't wait to go on them!  Each one costs little-to-no money, is relatively simple, and has the potential for a lot of laughs.  Some date sheets have themes, some have corny poems, and almost all have silly images.  The plan is to open each one on the first of each month and pick a date for our date!

In case of emergency, I also made these:


Spur of the moment dates for anytime!  The catch is, if we open one, we have to do that date right there, right then. Hehe. 

The envelopes were sealed with a kiss...


...and now they are ready to go!

One of the best bits of advice a seasoned adopting mama gave me is to not become so focused on the adoption that you forget about yourselves, as a couple.  I think it's great advice not only as we work through this adoption journey, but as we enter parenthood. 

Of course, I'll be sharing all about our dates each month so y'all can get a good laugh too.  August is a fun one.  More on that soon!

Much love,
Future Mama

21 comments:

Jessi said...

What a neat idea!!!

Jill said...

Would love to do this.  I love the idea. Would love to know your ideas, so I can start planning!  Thanks!
funk50@charter.net
www.campfunk.blogspot.com
  @charter:disqus Jill

Brooke said...

This is a WONDERFUL idea Angela and I am SO stealing it!

Brooke
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

Kelsey Park said...

Hi Angela! I came across your blog awhile ago and have loved following your story ever since. Your blog is great and your adoption story is even better!! I am so excited for you to get your little miracle home to start your new life together! My husband and I are very interested in adoption as well and I have been doing some research online, but I have a feeling I'll be needing to talk to you more about it at a later date, if that's okay, you seem so knowledgable as you been going thru this process yourself. Today I wanted to comment because I love your date idea! I too LOVE Pinterest and found this idea on there. I am now creating my own monthly dates for my husband and me. I love your 'sealed with a kiss' idea though so I am definitely going to be stealing that!! :) I hope your husband enjoys your gift as much as I know mine will! Happy Anniversary to you and your husband and congratulations on 6 years!!

Mandie said...

I love this... now I'm going to have to think about some ideas to to this as well!  We don't have money, but it will be fun to do this together!  We won't be able to do the spur of a moment anymore because of little man, but still should be fun!

Future Mama on August 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM said...

Thanks Jessi!

Future Mama on August 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM said...

Just e-mailed them to you Jill!

Future Mama on August 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM said...

Steal away!!  In fact, let me make it easy for you...I'll e-mail you the word document ;-)

Future Mama on August 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM said...

You are so sweet!!  Longer e-mail coming your way!

Future Mama on August 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM said...

Mandie, I am sending you the list of dates to make the planning a bit easier...with the little one and all ;-)

Sarah H. said...

LOVE it! :)

Jennifer on August 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM said...

I love this idea! Gotta love Pinterest! I can't wait to see what you do each month. My hubby has a birthday coming up in November, so I might have to steal this idea! Happy Belated Anniversary!

desiree on August 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM said...

this is too cute!  :) I hope you have fun on every one of them! -dez

Lesliekirk6 said...

I'm so doing this.  I saw it online and thought it was a good idea, but I hadn't thought of doing it as an anniversary gift!  Great idea!!

Stephanie said...

Love this too! I saw it on interest but glad I see someone else doing it! Could you email me that doc too? Pretty please :) Hubby's b-day in coming up!

Stephanie said...

Sheesh, lots of typos! Sorry!

Lisa said...

Very neat! I'm in the process of working out an idea for our anniversary next Friday the 9th. Hubby has planned out some crazy fun 2 day adventure that is a complete surprise for me, and I have nothing figured out for him! This is so cute! I'm curious about the ideas you put in the envelopes... would you mind emailing me them??? Thanks!!!

Jtwittler said...

Hi i just found you from pinterest :) gotta love it!! does your husband read your blog? if not you should just post the ideas :) I would really love to hear your ideas. my 10 yr anniversary is coming up in about 2 weeks and I would love your ideas!! thanks!!

Bryttan Everett said...

Hey there! My anniversary is coming up and I really want to do something sweet for it. It's our first year being married, and so we are trying to save some cash and I thought your crafty gift was PERFECT and so adorable!!! Any ideas on what dates to do?? 

Maria on January 30, 2012 at 7:18 PM said...

How fantastic!  I love the idea of "little-to-no-money," of course, as we save for our little one to come home, too.  I've totally gotta steal this.  DH's birthday is coming up in March....think I'll do this for him. :-)

Heather R said...

Can you send me your list as well! I plan to do this for my husband for our 6 yr anniversary as well . We have a 2 yr old and hopefully one on the way soon! This is perfect for us :) hope he will love it! Randall_h1@hotmail.com thanks!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez