Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Orphanage on the Bachelorette

Posted by Angie at 8:30 AM
Did y'all see the Bachelorette last night?

What did you think?

Not surprisingly, I bawled.

For those of you who missed it, the group date for the week was in the Ban San Fan Orphanage, located in the Phang Nga province in Southern Thailand. The cameras followed the bachelors around as they painted walls, planted flowers, and put up soccer nets.

And then, of course, they brought out the kids.
{source}
 Kids who were excited to have new toys.
{source}
Kids excited to have someone play with them, just for a day.
{source}
Kids excited to share smiles and talk.
{source}
And I bawled.  Happy to see their smiles.  Heartbroken that while they had new toys and bedding, they still did not have a daddy to teach them how to kick a soccer ball or a mommy to tuck them in and kiss their foreheads.

And then I felt angry.  Unhappy because I know that that orphanage was one of the better ones, even with its white walls and flat mattresses.  This glossy image of the orphan crisis.  How many don't have safe walls or bunk beds?  Clean water?  Diapers?  And my heart broke more.

"At least they are doing something," my husband tried to console me, "at least one more person will have seen a bit, even if it is just a bit, of the orphan crisis." 

Here ABC's article on the episode, and a link to their donate button.

Immediately after the episode, a commercial ran about Wendy's Wonderful Kids.  On Father's Day, if you buy a Frosty, they will donate 50 cents to support, "a signature program...which finds permanent adoptive families for children in foster care waiting to be adopted."  Not surprisingly, I cried more.

It was followed by a new McDonald's commercial, which shows lots of adorable Asian children to advertise Kung Fu Panda Happy Meals.

Whatever happened to mindless tv?

Much love,
Future Mama

13 comments:

Rock 'N' Roll Hideaway said...

Yesterday, at McDonald's, I was at the drink machine and looked over to see a lady and her older son and then her two daughters - Asian and obviously adopted. My heart flip flopped thinking that one day I might be at that same McDonald's with my daughter and her sister! I actually watched part of the Bachelorette last night but must have missed that part.

Kathleen W on June 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM said...

 I thought of you the whole time! Think of how many people people WERE watching. Pray that their hearts were broken for the things that break His. Seems like some of the Boys might become Orphan Advocates too...

Lindsey said...

Didn't watch the episode, but will definitely have to go back and search for it on abc.com. Thanks for sharing! We LOVE Wendy's because of how much they give back and in both of the stores in our area, even their employees hats are embrodiered with Wendy's Wonderful Kids.

Future Mama on June 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM said...

Aww!  I totally understand!  The same thing happened to me at Target not too long ago...it was all I could do to stop myself from following them up and down the aisles :-)

Future Mama on June 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM said...

Haha, thanks :-)  I hope so!  Wouldn't that be neat to see!

Future Mama on June 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM said...

That is so neat!  I had not even heard of it until last night, I think!

The Wayman Family Nest said...

I watched it and cried as well! I thought of you when I was watching it!

KenzyRae348 said...

I watched it too! And yes, I cried. In the episode and in the Wendy's commercial.

S A said...

i watched it too & it definitely brought tears to my eyes, i was really glad they did that & showed a large audience the need. how cute were those kids?!?! just to see their happiness was amazing.

S A said...

i watched it too & it definitely brought tears to my eyes, i was really glad they did that & showed a large audience the need. how cute were those kids?!?! just to see their happiness was amazing.

Katie Lindsey on June 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM said...

It was great to see Thailand and the orphanage made me want to bring some of the kids home! I kept telling the tv to stop having scenes of people talking and go back to Thailand and the kids! :)

Future Mama on June 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM said...

You are so right, they were sooooo cute!!

Future Mama on June 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM said...

Haha!!  Who wants hunks when we have adorable kiddos to watch ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez