Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Making an Adoption Video and Postcards

Posted by Angie at 7:55 AM
Future Papa and did not invent the concept of an adoption video.  Most adopting mama bloggers have seen their fair share of sweet and powerful adoption videos and are probably thinking Gosh Future Mama, can't you do something more innovative?  Haha, nope. 

We are doing something a bit different by making one to announce our adoption, as opposed to making one at the end of our journey to celebrate it, but then again, we are certainly not the first to do this.  Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?!  Here are two stellar examples that inspired us.

Our Little Secret No More
One Less Broken Heart

Like the first video, we are going to include some statistics.  Like the second, we are using the "One Less" song (to coordinate with the other elements of our grand announcement).  We are also including some verses, pictures of us, and pictures of some adopted Taiwanese children. 

It's coming together!  I'm excited for you all to see it.  And my husband is excited for me to stop playing the song over and over again as I try to get the timing right...

In other news, we put TWO important things in the mail yesterday.  One was the package to Future Papa's parents with strict instructions "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL MOTHER'S DAY" written on the envelope.  Inside the envelope is the "one less" bracelet, some pictures from Taiwan, and a message that reads "Happy Mother's Day!  What do all these pictures have in common?  We love you!  Call us."

For my father, we put ten postcards in the mail!! This idea was inspired by blog reader SassyAgapi, who commented: "If you could get a hold of a postcard from Taiwan (ebay?) & come up with something clever for it to say."  We didn't have enough time to order anything, but I did some online research and learned that anyone can make a postcard!  So, I printed out some pictures of Taiwan...

  

Then, I glued colorful card stock paper to the back of the images, drew a few lines, 
and ta da!  Postcards!

On the back of the cards we wrote all sorts of funny little messages related to the pictures.  My favorite:
Can't wait to meet you in 2013!  Love, your future grandchild

**note: we don't actually know when we will be getting a referral, since His Hands is a small orphanage and there are sooooo many factors.  we are telling ourselves 2013...so if it is earlier, we will be nothing but thrilled!

I love the idea of my dad going to his mailbox on a normal day and finding all these colorful cards.  They could get to him as early as Thursday!  Exciting times, y'all...remember when you announced you were having/adopting your first baby?

Much love,
Future Mama

6 comments:

Sarah H said...

Love your ideas! And just fyi, not sure if it was me/my computer/my internet, but when I followed the links to the other blogs, neither blogs' video was there/worked. So maybe check it out, and if they work for you, YAY, and maybe I'll try again later. Good luck with your gifts!

Future Mama on May 4, 2011 at 10:32 PM said...

Oh no Sarah! They worked for me...I'll get my husband to give them a whirl on his computer to make sure it's not an issue on my end. They really are great ;-)

SassyAgapi on May 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM said...

oh good i'm glad you liked my idea, good thinking with making your own!

desiree on May 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM said...

I love this idea! Please let us know the reactions :) I hope they are as excited as you guys are!

Sarah H said...

It was definitely my browser. Used a different one and they worked. Thanks for double checking for me! Those videos are great!

Kelly on May 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm excited to hear how the news was received!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez