Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Queen of Night

Posted by Angie at 7:07 AM
On November 2, 1864, Confederate soldier John Ramsay wrote the following to his beloved:

"Did you look at the new moon last night?  It shone beautifully, and as I stood, and looked on her delicate, and smiling face; I fancied you might be doing the same, and that though hundreds of miles apart yet, our eyes might be directed to the same object, at the same time; and while my own heart was pleading earnestly, for its chosen One, that my beloved was thinking of me.  Lovers like to look at the moon…did you think of me, while looking at the Queen of night?"


When I read quotes like this, it is as if the voice of this long-dead soldier is now alive again, echoing throughout the quiet confines of my sleepy kitchen.  I can feel his love and ache to be with his sweetheart.  I can also feel his insecurities, seeping though the faded ink, hoping to be thought of by his love.  

My first thought is to my husband.  How I wish I could express myself this beautifully when I am away on a research trip or at a conference.  

But now, I also think of our future child.  Is there a window in the room at the orphanage where our child sleeps?  Does moonlight shine onto our child's crib, giving a hug that he or she receives too little?  Or has our child even seen the moon before?   

Much love,

Future Mama

*please support us through our journey with your prayers, advice,
and donations.  help us bring our child home.  see our donate tab.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I remember the song my mom used to sing.... "I see the moon the moon sees me. The moon sees the one I'd love to see. So God bless the moon and God bless me. And God bless the one I'd love to see." I sang this a lot when we were adopting Jonathan....and I couldn't wait to see him. Somehow knowing that we all sleep under the same moon made me feel more secure like a small connection.

Brooke said...

I always think about her mother...what she's doing right now. I pray a lot for her, and that helps me through some moments of worry or fear.

Brooke Annessa
www.theannessafamily.blogspot.com

Future Mama on April 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM said...

My dad used to sing the same song to me! :-)

Mattie on April 21, 2011 at 10:12 PM said...

I thought of that same song. Chris Rice does a cover of it on his Amusing CD and I sing it every time the moon gets full. People just don't talk like that much anymore do they? Sigh...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez