Monday, April 4, 2011

Adoptive Mamas-- Women who Ain't Too Proud to Beg

Posted by Angie at 7:02 AM
Ahhh...money.  Love it or hate it, chances are it's on most people's minds daily.  And if you're like me, you don't like to talk about it.  Deep breath...here goes...
When the hubby and I first talked about adoption, money inevitably came up in the conversation.  Again and again.  How on earth were we going to afford it?

This was and continues to be my biggest worry.  I am not a risk-taker with my money.  You know those obnoxious women with a million coupons who hold up the grocery line?  That's me.  The ones who stand in front of clothing racks, debating on a measly two-dollar difference between scarfs?  Guilty as charged.  The ladies who open their wallets, only to reveal they have every receipt for every purchase in the last month?  I raise my hand.  Who orders water at every meal?  Yep.  I think you get the picture...

In my bible, I have highlighted, circled, and underlined the parable of the mustard seed (Matthew 17:19-20).  After his disciples were unable to do so, Jesus healed a young boy, causing the following scene:

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”  20 He replied, Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Yesterday's sermon at our church centered upon this verse.  Our pastor (love her!) spoke about how our mountains won't disappear, but we can make them move to the side.  Out of our way.  They don't have to be the focus.  Finances do not and should not be the main focus of our adoption process.

This adoption is going to do so much for the both of us, but for me, I think it is going to be a tremendous lesson in faith.  A lesson in trust.  We are starting this journey with a financial plan but also with a lot of uncertainties.  A lot.  Through this journey, we are going to learn how to not be "too proud to beg." (Remember that song?  Love it!  I couldn't resist putting the video below!)

 

When I first started this journey, I felt so alone in my worries about finances.  I assumed (wrongly) that people who adopt simply had large bank accounts.  I assumed we were strange (perhaps a bit loony) to even be contemplating this idea.  I know now that this worry is not something that just affects me.  Adoption is not just for the rich!  I'm not encouraging financial irresponsibility here, but if that is the only thing stopping a person from adopting, I would urge them to reconsider.  To look at grants, fundraisers, loans, savings, and sacrificing the little luxuries in our lives!  It is a mission, and like most missions, a healthy amount of fundraising is involved ;-)

Much love,
Future Mama

*please support us through our journey with your prayers, advice, and donations.  help us bring our child home.  see our donate tab.

4 comments:

Kelley on April 4, 2011 at 8:20 AM said...

That particular verse has been our mantra this entire time as well. I am a lot like you, I LOVE a bargain, love coupons and I just will not spend more than I have to.

This process is expensive. We have three kids at home and while we make a good living, we are not able to just hand over $30,000 on a whim.

God has been SO good to us. We started the process in December and have already come up with $13,000 in a combination of gifts from friends and family, fund raising and cutting back on the "fat" in our budget. We never thought we'd come so far so fast.

Although it is hard to beg, I've been amazed at the generosity people have shown us when we just ask.

Christy on April 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM said...

It's amazing how God has provided for our adoption! I think every Adoptive Family goes through the same concern and worry initially! But most people who are adopt are average, every day people! :) God is able to be glorified through us and through our adoption process! He also uses this opportunity to help us grow SO MUCH!!! Hugs!

Future Mama on April 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM said...

Yay!! God is so great!!!

Future Mama on April 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM said...

Love it Christy, thank you :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez