Mother's Day is quickly approaching (shameless plug: need a gift? we are selling jewelry! or how about a Leaves of Love tree?) and my mother and two younger brothers are going to be visiting us for the weekend. In addition to celebrating my wonderful mother on Mother's Day, we are celebrating my successful MA thesis defense, my next youngest brother's upcoming birthday (21!), and my littlest brother's graduation from high school. What a weekend, huh?! My mom is coming up from Florida, one brother from Alabama, and another from Georgia, so the Future Papa and I are quite excited about hosting this little reunion.
So why not throw our adoption news into the mix :-) For those of you loyal blog readers who have been with me from the beginning, remember my first giveaway, the paper bead bracelets? Well, I loved them so much that I couldn't resist ordering one for myself and supporting her wonderful cause.
Isn't it just beautiful? She custom made it for me! I asked for it to be colorful (so it would match everything) and also asked for the phrase "one less," after the Matthew West song. If you haven't heard it, here is a link to a music video.
So, on Monday I e-mailed the mother of the little girl who made this bracelet and asked if she could make a simpler version (just one strand, not three, like the one pictured above). She said yes, so I ordered two and will hopefully be getting them early next week! One will be for my mother, one for my mother-in-law. I just got the pictures this morning (woo hoo!!), so here is what they look like:
And so, without further ado, drum roll please......
Grand Plan for Announcing Adoption to my Mother (and brothers, simultaneously)
- Mother's Day: Have four wrapped gifts on the table.
- My one brother's birthday present
- My other brother's graduation present
- A gift for my mother for Mother's Day
- A gift for me for Mother's Day (she will likely assume this is because I am the mama to Dasher, who we spoil rotten and talk about as if he were a human baby)
- Brothers open their gifts.
- Mom and I open our gifts at the same time (of course, I already know what is in mine, the bracelet I ordered months ago)
- I don't think she is going to get it right away. Maybe she will, she's pretty quick, but I don't think she has heard the song. At the point, we head into the living room where we will have set up our "adoption announcement" video.
- Que video and surprise! Y'all are going to be a grandma/uncles!
- Wrap matching bracelet and mail it to them
- Include a link to blog
- Have video posted to blog announcing the news
- Anticipate a phone call from them!
- Ok, so this plan needs help. Obviously I am not going to mail him a bracelet ;-) But I still like the idea of sending something? Ideas? At this point, I may be keeping it simple...e-mailing him the link to our blog and letting him see the video from there.
Ok, so I mentioned the adoption video several times, but have not explained what that is in detail yet, I know! But this post is long enough, you can look forward to news on that early next week.
What do think of our plans? Ideas? Suggestions?? We are still tweaking them and would love any thoughts that you have!!