Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WOW Wednesday: Best Adoption Book

Posted by Angie at 3:00 PM
{Definition: WOW Wednesday.  Also known as Words of Wisdom Wednesdays.  This is a post which begs invites you to SHARE your wisdom with first time mamas...like me!}

A brief search on Amazon brings up hundreds of choices.  Fat books, skinny books, colorful books, classic books, new editions...on and on and on.  If you are an adoptive mama, you know exactly what I am talking about: adoption books!  I'm not chatting about children books here (a topic for another post), but guidebooks geared to adopting parents.  The ones that advise the perfect way to raise adopted children, the issues that you and your child will face, bonding exercises...on and on and on.  Now, before I drone on and on and on, I'll ask today's question:

What is the BEST adoption guide/advice book for parents?

Yes, that is vague.  Yes, it will likely be different for different people.  I am talking about the book that you have COVERED with a florescent highlighter.  The one with underlines and stars on every page.  The one that is tattered and falling apart.  The one that you could not have survived the first year without.  The one you return back to time and time again for its words of wisdom.  The one that looks like this:
{source}
Can't pick one? Ok, ok, give me two :-)  Maaaaaybe three, if it really is that tough of a decision.  While I could read all 106,873 books on adoption out there, I would kinda like to spend some time making things for the nursery, picking out bedtime stories, and dreaming about the future babe.  Don't get me wrong, I KNOW these books are important...but I don't want to turn into a bookworm (well...more of a bookworm, hehe).  My goal is to work through some of your faves this summer and then pass along my personal picks to the hubby.

So....yay!  Can't wait to see what you say!

And for fundraising mamas who are in need of a bit of hope, check out this sweet family's success story.  I know I was bawling by the end of it!  God is SO good!

Much love,
Future Mama

6 comments:

Kelly on March 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM said...

I actually just started this book but it's been suggested a few times to me so I will suggest it to you - Parenting your Internationally Adopted Child: From your First Hours Together through the Teen Years. The title says it all, it's big and it's informative and it's more like a great reference guide maybe for now and later?
I'm excited to see what other suggestions you get!

Emilypdaniell said...

The Connected Child. LOVE IT!

Kim from 3 peanuts said...

Hmmm. I will have to go look on my shelves. I read several before we adopted Kate but I will tell you the truth. The secret to parenting ANY child is not in a book...it is in your heart. Talk to them the way you want to be spoken to. Be the adult you want them to grow into. Love them with all your heart and soul.

lisa on March 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM said...

Oh I really love Kim's response and wholeheartedly agree. I also have found so many useful insights within those actual childrens' books, despite the fact that they are geared towards children and family reading.

But to prepare for an adoption I really found: "20 things Adopted Children Wished Their Parents Knew" and "Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child" helpful. Some of it won't apply or will seem theoretical, but both books are insightful and great reads while you wait and beyond.

I also would recomend adding a few blogs from Adult Adoptees to your list of frequented blogs. Again, some will resonate and some will not ~ but I can assure you they will be enlightening and informative. Some are hard to read and certainly one perspective does not represent all Adult Adoptees; but their voices are important to consider as you prepare.

Jane on March 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM said...

I love the compilation from EMK Press called, "Adoption Parenting: Creating a Toolbox, Building Connections." Also, "Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft" is great too and generally applicable.

I read a bunch of adoption books and combined my knowledge of those (many ideas differ!) and then went with what my heart said to do. Good luck!

Future Mama on March 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM said...

These are all SO helpful, thank you ladies!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez