Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How to enjoy a storm

Posted by Angie at 12:36 PM
"A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship.  But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease." John Muir

I love storms.  
 
The brilliant, jagged flash of lightning

The deep, echoing rumble of thunder

Sheets of rain tumbling to the earth

Big storms make the hairs on my arm raise and my heart beat a little faster.

I don't quite appreciate the rain when I have to go to work in it.  But when I can stay home with a blanket and a book, I love rainstorms.  This morning was one of those times.  We didn't have a huge storm, just one of those sleepy little "summer is hovering just around the corner" showers.  And I loved it.

I can't wait for our child to be home, enjoying the excitement involved in a really big storm.  I remember watching storms as a little girl.  I would press my face against the window, jumping away with each loud crack of thunder.  I continue to be amazed by the power of weather.  And horrified by the destruction it can bring.

 
But as I think about enjoying these days with our future little one, I also think about...pent-up energy!  For all the mamas out there, what are some of your favorite rainy day activities to do with kids?  And for those without kiddos, what did you do during storms when you were little?

Much love,
Future Mama
P.S. Pssst...did you see our big announcement Monday here?

3 comments:

Kim on March 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM said...

My goodness, this really struck a chord with me. This is exactly how I feel and I haven't even HELD an orphan yet. But once I got "hooked" on adoption/orphan advocacy blogs and SAW their faces, READ their names, WATCHED their videos, HEARD their stories, and saw SOME of them come HOME to FOREVER FAMILIES.. my life was CHANGED. I am doing a fundraiser right now for a particular orphanage that is in desperate need of help, and I am unfortunately shocked at how many people can read about the conditions there (though I don't go into great detail out of respect for the families whose children have since come home from there) and see the photos and CLICK AWAY without giving something, even if it's ten cents. But at the same time, I'm not shocked AT ALL because sadly, I was one of those people for a long time. I am so grateful that my eyes were opened.

Kim on March 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM said...

Oops, this was supposed to go on the new post above.. sorry! I can't move it now!

Future Mama on March 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM said...

Haha, no problem! I wish I could move the comment box to the bottom of my posts, but I have no idea how to do it!! Thanks for the comment :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez