Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow-pocalypse!!!

Posted by Angie at 11:40 AM
Attack of the SNOW!!!  We live in the South ya'll, so when snow falls, things tend to get a little CRAZY!
As our newscasters have termed it, the snow-pocalypse arrived Sunday night!  And our entire town shut down.  All roads, businesses, schools: CLOSED.  Perhaps this will put it into perspective:  Atlanta, the closest city to where we live and home of the busiest airport in the world, has only eight snow plows.  Yup, eight.

Here the Future Papa and pup cracked open our back door Sunday night, as the snow just began to fall.  We were pretty darn excited!

 By Monday morning, the world was as white as vanilla frosting.  As powdered sugar.  
As white as...well...snow!
At first, Dasher did not know what to think of the powder covering all his favorite rocks and beloved plants.  But...as you can see below...he learned to love the squishy substance pretty quickly!
I enjoyed watching them, laughing, and snapping pictures.
SIX WHOLE INCHES!! Can you even believe it?! 
(measured by super duper official green classroom ruler)
I was then informed via snowball that I needed to put down my silly camera and enjoy the fun ;-)
Whew!  So, after a wild Monday morning, we came inside, lit a roaring fire...
...sipped some hot chocolate with the cat...
...and took naps on the couch.
But, the fun did not stop there!  Thanks to the MASSIVE amount of snow, schools/roads/businesses were ALSO closed on Tuesday, giving us some more time to play!
Dasher won't be drinking water out of that anytime soon!


Whew, while it was awesome Monday and enjoyable Tuesday, today (Wednesday), I am beginning to get a bit of cabin fever.  Future Papa has been called in for a shortened day of work (11-5) today, but the university where I work is still closed.

We have had fun watching all the ways our neighbors have dealt with the snow!  One stood in his pjs and used a kitchen spatula to get the snow off his car.  We live on a hill and witnessed all sorts of "sled" substitutes...everything from trashcan lids to rooftop luggage bins.

While playing, we noticed one neighbor who owned a very precious item...a shovel!  Future Papa quickly approached the man and procured the instrument, which we used to clear off our steps.  Our neighbors are grandparents (from Argentina!), so once the Future Papa finished our doorway, he began work on their's.  As the sweet woman loudly thanked him for his good deed, the door next to her opened, revealing our neighbor who just had a baby.  She politely asked Future Papa if he would be willing to also shovel her steps, which of course he was.

If I had thought of it at the time, we should have gone door to door offering the coveted service and raising money for the adoption, ha!! But, of course, the idea came a little too late ;-)

And, because this is an adoption blog after all, I have a baby story to share with you.  As we were running about (a bit like crazy people), one of our neighbors came out with their precious, three year old daughter.  She was bundled up from her tiny curls to her little toes.  Her daddy carried her to a patch of snow, set her down, and watched her waddle like a chubby penguin for a few feet before she promptly collapsed into the powder, squealing.  This continued for about twenty minutes...he'd pick her up, she'd waddle, she'd collapse, she'd laugh.

So of course, you can imagine me, the neighbor with the hyper puppy and excited husband, watching from across the street, dreaming of making memories like this with our future little one.  Ah, it made my heart just melt. 

I hope you all my fellow southerners had wonderful snow days!! And for my northern bloggy readers...well...you can take heart in the fact that you will probably get to hear us all complain that we have to make up these days over spring break ;-)

Much love,
Future Mama


P.S.  HAVE YOU ENTERED OUR GIVEAWAY YET?? No donation necessary :-)

15 comments:

erica on January 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM said...

It's amazing that there is that much snow down south! We expect it here in Ohio, but Georgia? Wow! Have fun! :)

David and Larisa on January 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM said...

It's really fun to watch all of you southerners enjoy weather that's just normal, mundane, everyday stuff for those of us in good old Ohio! Six inches isn't a big deal here, down there? Wow!

erica on January 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM said...

Ok, that was weird! My sister, Larisa, and I just posted similar comments at the exact same time! I guess great minds think alike, huh? ;)

Future Mama on January 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM said...

Haha, Erica and Larisa- that is too funny! But, I think I totally believe in a sibling connection...there are too many times that my brothers and I seem to be thinking or saying the same thing at the same time for it to be a coincidence?? ;-)

Jess on January 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM said...

It's watching the little gals with their papas that hurts the most, isn't it? At least, it is for me. My heart just aches, thinking of all the memories that could be made if we had a little one right now. The time will come for both of us.

bluehydrangea on January 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM said...

Love all the snow pictures and we also had a lot of snow here in Wilmington and it NEVER snows here on the coast. After 3 days home with 3 kids, I about done!!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" on January 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM said...

Love it!!! Used to live in Iowa moved to Louisiana :) Not a whole lot of snow down here, but when it does even if it is a dusting- the whole world stops! he he he makes me laugh, but it is fun as well!!!!

Kellie Collis on January 13, 2011 at 6:59 AM said...

Gorgeous pictures! It looks really fun! Enjoy the lovely day, Kellie xx

Lisa on January 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM said...

:) It does tickle us, those of us a big farther North, to watch the "sNO-situation" going on down yonder! BUT we are big fans of the fluffy stuff here, so I KNOW you all must have been relishing in it too!

I'm glad you are enjoying the snow bliss and by golly I think you guys topped out at about where are right now too! (which is less than normal for this time of year! Weird!)

Stay warm and enjoy!

Crossed Fingers on January 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM said...

I hope you enjoyed the snow! :) Glad we're not the only ones getting hit!

Grace on January 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to say hi and welcome to bloggy land!! Congratulations on your decision to adopt..it is such an awesome experience. We are adopting a baby girl from South Korea, waiting on our referral currently. We live in the deep south and unfortunately haven't seen any of that snow around here yall are talking about. I'm jealous ;) Looking forward to following your journey!

Tisha on January 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM said...

Love the pictures!! I have never lived in a place that didn't get a lot of snow, but I would LOVE to! :) Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments. I look forward to following your journey!

Andrea on January 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM said...

Seriously, I don't think the two of you could get any cuter! We enjoyed the snow as well and as you say, we live in the South so snow days are few and far between.

Love all the pictures!

Have a great weekend :)

HUGS

Debb on January 13, 2011 at 8:29 PM said...

FUN photos! I grew up in Wisconsin where snow days were common, but now I live in Idaho and they are rare. I LOVE the snow! And Dasher looks like he takes after my heart! So cute! Well, I hope your cabin fever is calming for you! I look forward to following your journey to parenthood! Our adoption from Ethiopia is our initiation into parenthood as well! Can't happen fast enough! :D

thewonderfulhappens on January 18, 2011 at 8:45 PM said...

I'm a fellow Southerner (Alabama). We had Ice-pocalypse here and I had to laugh because I used a spatula as a scraper and old garage sale signs (from adoption fundraisers) as sleds........and blogged about it.

Hmmmm, we may be kindred spirits....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez