Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't get nauseous! Just buckle in...

Posted by Angie at 10:38 AM
First, in case you get distracted by your darling kiddos and don't read another word, can I just say wow?!  Followed by thanks?!?!

Ok, so I love rollarcoasters.  I love commercials about them, I love watching them in person, I love the ride.  But what I hate?  The top...that moment right after you have strapped yourself into the chair.  When the cart lurches forward, clinking slowly up, and the doubts flood in.  Why am I doing this?  This is not going to be fun.  This is scary!  Why am I taking this risk?!?!  And you hit the top, you look around, and you know what is coming.  The fear, the anxiety, the doubt. The itty bitty people below.  And you think (or, at least I do!) this is a MIIIIISTAAAAAAKE!!!!

But then...AHHHH...the excitement!  The fun!  The twists, the turns, the rushing air.  And we are off to hop on another one.

This has been quite similar to our decision to adopt.  It's easy to read blogs, watch videos, and imagine us flying to an exotic place to pick up a baby.  Yes, adoption it is, the hubby and I would decide.  Let's hop into the cart and strap ourselves in. 

And then, of course, the doubts set in.  Adoption is expensive.  It's lengthy.  We only know a few people personally who have done it and we don't know them that well.  When our friends are giddily announcing their pregnancies, we can't help but wonder...maybe this adoption thing is crazy.  As far as we know we can have a child biologically.  Maybe we should just do that and and then see if we really want to do this thing...      

Future Papa and I are positively amazed.  Your responses, comments, e-mails, and more have floored us.  It hasn't even been a week yet and already I have list of numerous recommended agencies to research and detailed advice about homestudies.  I have even discovered an adoptive mama with two beautiful girls from Taiwan who lives a mere miles from us!  The love we are feeling, for your kids, for adoption, and even for us, a young couple you have never even met, is just unbelievable!!! 

Now, more than ever, we know we can do this.  We are even more excited about doing this.  We are officially on the rollarcoaster.  Going down the hill.  YAY!

I am excited to pick an agency, get that dossier done, and ask for your tops tips on what to do during the referral wait.  To get your advice on bonding exercises.  To hear your opinions on what to pack!  It may be a long road, but I see a FUN, EXCITING, AWESOME road ahead.  Sure, I know we should expect bumps and twists along the way...

...but chances are...one of you fabulous readers have been there before and can tell us what to do!

So thank you, thank you, thank you.  I probably won't say it enough on this journey, so let me at least start off on the right foot!

Alright, so down to business.  I'm having a problem and it is ALL YOUR FAULT!  I thought I would have at least a couple of months until I had to deal with this, but no.  I have received e-mails, comments, links, and more filled with valuable information.  Some I are still nestled cozily in my inbox, some I have printed, some I have saved on my computer.

 (note: this is not my desk!  but if things continue as they are, it might as well be...)

This lack of organization simply won't do!  It's not even been a week and if this keeps up, I will never be able to find anything!  A little insight into Future Mama: I love organization.  It stems from the fact that I also have a horrible memory...if things aren't in their place, I will never remember them.

So, my question for you is this...how did you keep all your information organized during the adoption process?  The forms, the advice, the details?  A filing system?  A binder?  Somewhere on the computer?  I would love to hear what worked!

And, if you are one of those free-spirited people who didn't have an organized system and perhaps it caused problems, your stories would likely be just as hilarious for us all to read :-)

Have a marvelous weekend all!

Much love,
Future Mama

*please support us through our journey with your prayers, advice, and donations.  help us bring our child home.  see our donate tab.

17 comments:

Dunns on January 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM said...

LOL.. Perfect!!! I think you've mastered the "roller coaster ride"... very good stuff!!! And I was hoping that wasn't your desk after a week! LOL
I purchased a binder/file box to keep organized with tabs starting with the HS, INS, etc., And I used the folders online with emails and such..

After you get your dossier in country, I would do small steps with the baby room, and I would therapy shop!! Therapy shopping kepts the adoption alive!!! You'll understanding more about kept it alive when the time/adoption is moving at snail pace..

"Are These Kids All Yours?" on January 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM said...

Love this!!! You make me giggle :) Hmmm....yes I am a ducks in a row organizational freak at times. Maybe because of having 8 children it is a necessity??

We had a box of just information for agencies when we were doing research. Then once we picked an agency we were sent a 3 ring binder- perfect!!! With all we need inside :) LOVED it.

Still have it and will keep it forever.

With fostering- forget it they don't care :) you know government...

With our domestic....yeah that happened sooo fast we didn't have time to even do anything except send everything we had and fly there to pick up our daughter :) he he he....

Sooo...If you have any questions just let me know. Have been there and LOVED IT!! You might say I have an addiction of sorts :) he he he......to kids that is.

Misty+Mike+Chully on January 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM said...

I did the exact same thing as Dunns. I used a file box with a ton of tabs and just saved everything. I figured if I didn't need it later on for the agency the babe might find it interesting to go thru later on in life.

I'm so excited for you guys!

Alison on January 6, 2011 at 10:58 PM said...

Excited to follow your adoption journey!!! :)

Colleen on January 7, 2011 at 8:10 AM said...

Hi there! I came across your blog and really enjoy your writing and most of all, love the chance to read about your exciting adoption journey! I look forward to keeping up with you!

My husband and I have adopted from Sri Lanka and are in the process of doing so again and let me tell you, it was thrilling and scary and wonderful all at once.:)

I wish you all the best!

God bless.

Love Colleen

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle on January 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM said...

My brother, my husband's sister, and three friends have all gone through the foreign adoption process and came out in one (very happy and excited) piece. One of the things that got each of them through was connecting with a support group for people going through the process. While I haven't gone through this myself, I would imagine having lots of information from those who have dealt with the emotional roller coaster that is adoption would be of great importance.

All the best to you.

Lisa on January 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM said...

LOL That's one way to describe it all! And a pretty accurate one at that!

For us, I used the same system both times. A large masterlist of everything we needed to have done: i.e. fingerprint application, physicals, letters of recomendation, etc. typed with boxes next to each item that I checked off as we accomplished them. I also kept labeled folders for each different part. One for H.S., one for Dossier documents, one for agencys, etc....also keep one handy to tuck your receipts for expenses into and one for saving the things you might wish to include in a lifebook for your child down the road.

It wasn't perfect but it worked for me. I kept in a kitchen cabinet near the phone cuz we always seemed to need something for reference while on the phone! I taped the master list on the inside of the same cabinet for each referencing also!

Hope that helps!

The Campbells on January 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM said...

Just found your blog! So cute! Love the idea of the rollercoaster. We alos just fell off the top of the rollercoaster and are beginging our journey to Ethiopia. SO excited! We got a folder as well to keep things organized and are keeping those reciepts along the way. Once you choose an agency they will give you all that you need to know too.

I also have begun a journal for my child that I write in most nights. I took a picture of me and my hubby signing our adoption application and put that in the journal. Want our child to see the road we took!

I made a video that you can see on my blog and that is how we announced we were "expecting". Everyone was pretty excited! Looking forward to watching your journey!
Many Blessings,
Suzanne
www.journeyto838.blogspot.com

Angela on January 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM said...

Just stopping by to thank you for joining me this Fearless Friday and asking us to pray for those orphan children and the family's also that so desire to have them...Blessings.

Molly on January 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM said...

I used a 3 ring binder and used the plastic sleeves for misc receipts and items I didn't want to 3 whole punch. I also tried to print off and travel or other details and kept it all together.

I used an excel spreadsheet for all expenses, paid, unpaid, date paid, etc. This is where I also put down important dates.

Also, make a favorite folder for all adoption blogs, travel sites, hotels, etc.

The Southern Housewife on January 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM said...

I'll have to keep this blog tagged...I really think God is putting it on my heart to look into adoption. HOping to follow your adventure! Congratulations! :)

Leia on January 9, 2011 at 1:40 AM said...

Wishing you all the best with your adoption journey!

Leia

Future Mama on January 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM said...

So many great ideas, thank you!! This is certainly going to help.

Suzanne- I LOVED your video!! Tried to comment on it, but the function is disabled, I think? Anyhoo, we may copy you and do something similar to announce the news to friends. Thanks for the idea!!

Joe and Deanna on January 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM said...

Well, I am a little late in finding this comment box.... :)

Anyway I have file folders all ready for our adoption paperwork and process. I have one for our fundraising, one for forms my hubby needs to complete, one for the ones I need to complete, one for those forms that are done and need to be mailed in, one for those that need notary, etc. I just find the filing system I have useful to me. Praying that you find one perfect for you :)

alston on January 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM said...

All the best wishes to you on your adoption journey!!

Stephanie on January 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM said...

Excited to follow your journey! Love that so many families are chasing after something so special in God's heart!

Tonya Boster on January 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM said...

We adopted internationally from Guatemala. Our princess has beeh home for 2 1/2 years now. Adoption is definitely a calling and future baby will be so blessed because it is the path you chose!:) I kept a big binder with everything all in one place so I wouldn't lose it. I would print out emails or tips if I needed to. You could use clear plastic document sleeves to put loose items. I can't wait to follow your journey!
Blessings,
Tonya (aka Arabella's Mommy)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Expecting a Blessing Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez